Saturday, January 17, 2009

Kya Broke Her Arm

Last Thursday, (Jan 8th) Kya fell down and fractured her wrist. It happened when she went to catch herself. My mom called me (in tears) and told me that she fell down and that she thought she broke her arm or something. I came home from work and at first I didn't think anything was wrong because she wasn't crying or anything. She just kept giving her arm kisses better. So I layed her on her stomach to see what she would do and when she tried to get up she would just hold her arm out. She could not put any pressure on it.

I took her to the doctor and they xrayed it. When the doctor came back he said "well, it looks like she gets a cast. She has what is called a buckle fracture. " It happens a lot in kids, where they fall and then catch themselves. So he put a cast on her just below the elbow. That only lasted for a couple hours. She played with it when she went down for her nap and pulled it right off when she got up. I made Tyler take her back and when she came back it was above her elbow.
I am so surprised at how well she is doing with it on. It has not slowed her down one bit. She does get a little frustrated every once in a while, when she goes to put something in her mouth and she can't bend her arm, or when she tries to pick something up and she can't.
Her baths are short and sweet now because we have to put a sock and two bags over her arm so it doesn't get wet. The first time we bathed her after she got her cast on we only put one bag and her arm got soaked.


Giving her ouchy kisses


This is the first cast they put on.



Above the elbow


Her bath with a bag on her arm

No comments: